10 Interesting Things You Didn’t Know About Thailand
Thailand is a country with much to offer its travellers. Known as the ‘Land of a Thousand Smiles’ partly due to the friendly population, the diverse landscapes and stunning scenery will take anyones breath away. We’ve put together 10 interesting facts to help you know more about this spiritually diverse and interesting country.
2. In Thailand it is illegal to leave the house with no underwear on.
3. Thai brothers Eng and Chang Bunker who were joined at the chest inspired the term ‘Siamese Twins’. Both brothers married and between them had 22 children!
4. Bangkok’s full name is Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.
5. It is illegal to step on Thai currency.
6. Bangkok was once referred to as the ‘Venice of the East’ because its original buildings stood on stilts above rivers and canals. However as Bangkok grew larger these were filled in.
7. Roughly 95% of all Thai people are Buddhist.
8. The word Thailand means ‘land of the free’.
9. Thai people must always keep their head lower than anyone deemed more important than themselves.
10. One of the most interesting festivals in Thailand is the annual Monkey Buffet held at Pra Prang Sam Yot temple where more than 600 monkeys feast on meat, fruit and ice cream provided by the local residents as a thank you for bringing tourists into the area.