10 Interesting Things You Didn’t Know About Cambodia
Cambodia is a fascinating and beautiful country, full of rich culture and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. The following list will give you more insight into a destination which should definitely be added to your career break wish list!
1. The official religion of Cambodia is Theravada Buddhism which is practised by around 95% of the Cambodian population.
2. The English word Cambodia has been derived from the French word Cambodge.
3. Birthdays are not traditionally celebrated in Cambodia and it is not unusual for older people not to know how old they are!
4. Half of Cambodia’s current population are under 15 years old.
5. Tarantula kebabs are a popular delicacy and are often sold among a range of fried insects by street sellers. Delicious!
6. In the Khmer language, rice and food mean the same.
7. In the north east, dolphins can be found in rivers!
8. The national sports are traditional boat racing, buffalo racing, Khmer traditional wrestling, and Bokator (martial arts).
9. To greet each other in Cambodia people place both their palms together in front of each other and then bow. This is called Sompeah and is usually initiated by the younger or lower rank of the two.
10. The Cambodian flag is the only one in the world to have an image of a building, Angkor Wat.